CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 13, 2009

That's Just Nutty

Friday morning, Henry woke up covered in hives. I'm not exaggerating when I say covered. Oddly though, only his arms, legs, and face were covered. His trunk was completely normal. Reference the day 2 photo from this post and it was a similar appearance. It was worse on Friday, which seems impossible. There was not a clear patch of skin on his arms or legs. His feet were swollen, his fingers were swollen. . . it was terrible. He was also, as you can imagine, horribly itchy. I called the pediatrician to get an appointment, and gave him some Benadryl. In the hour and fifteen minutes between giving him the Benadryl and getting him to the doctor, the hives went away and started to come back again in large welts.

The pediatrician tested him for the coxsackie virus (and seriously? Who names a virus that?) and it was negative. As I suspected it would be. She asked what he had to eat the day before. I didn't want to tell her. He had a peanut butter sandwich for dinner. While he's not ever had an issue with peanuts, and has eaten peanut butter nearly every day of his life for the last 3 years, I knew that would be what she thought caused it. Sure enough. . . we're going to do an allergy test to determine exactly what he's allergic to. As for now, we're peanut free until then. I asked what the likelihood is of him developing a sensitivity to something he's eaten so frequently without a problem. She said not likely, but not impossible. Until we find out for sure, I'm packing his Benadryl and Epipen everywhere he goes!

1 comment:

Briana said...

Good luck with the testing. Hope it's not a nut allergy.

We took Quinn for allergy testing in the fall and everything came abck negative. I was ticked. Not that I WANT him to be allergic to anything, it's just that I need an answer as to why his nose runs constantly from fall to summer and his ears swell up 4 times their size when he's bitten my a mosquitto.