CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 5, 2011

Happy Birthday Grace!

I came out of my self-imposed baking retirement this weekend for this special girl.
Her name is Grace, and she turned three in August.
She's the same age as my little Jack.

I've known Grace's mama and daddy for several years, and have made many cakes for them.
I made her daddy's 35th birthday cake.


I made her aunt's birthday cake.



I made Grace's mama's shower cake, after she and Grace's daddy tried so, so hard to have Grace.



And I mean, tried for years hard, seeing doctors and taking tests and medicines, all so they could have a baby of their own.  And they got a sweet, perfect little baby they named Grace.  Many call her a miracle baby because her parents had such a difficult time getting her into their arms.  And that's where their story should end; with ". . . and they lived happily ever after."  And I think it did.  Until this spring, when they found out sweet Grace has leukemia.

Specifically, Grace has High Risk Pre-B Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.  I don't know what all of that means, but I know it sucks.  She has a port inserted in her tiny body that she will have until after she starts Kindergarten.  She has lost her hair.  She has been in the hospital more times since March than any parent wants for their child's entire lifetime.  


She is adorable, and a fighter.  And she will beat this horrendous disease.  I cannot imagine the strength her sweet parents have had to have.  Her dad has shaved his head so Grace looks like him.  Her mom is such a caring, giving person, and I cannot fathom having to see one of my children go through such struggles.  (You can read more about Grace's fight at her Caring Bridge site.)


So, despite my retirement from the cake business, when Grace's mama asked me if I would make the cake for Grace's third birthday - her royal tea - I did not hesitate to say yes.  I was so honored she asked me to make it.  I can only imagine that her party was a fabulous celebration of her little wonderful life.  


I made a three tier white and strawberry teapot cake.  It's probably one of my favorite cakes I've made.  it was adorable, just as is the recipient.  


Happy Birthday sweet Grace.  Start thinking about what kind of cake you'd like me to make for number four!







No comments: