CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The First Day of School


Today was David's first day of preschool! How can that be?! He was very excited this morning, which was a great relief for me. I thought he would be, but I was a bit apprehensive that he would make a fuss and cry. Which would, of course, make me cry. He did great though. He was practically running into school when we got there, went right to his classroom and started playing while he still had his backpack on! I was worried about him having a potty accident at school, and we discussed how if he needed to use the bathroom he was to ask his one of his teachers. I was so glad when I picked him up to see that he had the same clothes on that he started with! I could hear him crying as I was walking down the hall to pick him up. He was upset because he had to stay on his nap mat -- I thought that might be an issue. By that point he was WORN OUT, and wanted nothing to do with laying on the floor.


Mrs. Frankie and Mrs. Sheila are his teachers, and they're both so sweet. They did say that David is "strong willed" and that he had to miss the first trip out to the playground today because he wouldn't participate in circle time. He wanted to continue playing, looking through the cabinets, and just generally doing what he wasn't supposed to be doing. He and another child had to stay in while the other kids went out to play. It won't take David long to figure out that's not a great idea! He painted a picture and colored another one, and he was so proud to come home and show us. I know he missed Henry, because the first thing he asked me when I picked him up was, "Where's Henry?"


Henry had a much better day today than I expected. He was upset when David was getting ready and kept shouting, "I NEED MY LUNCHBOX! I NEED MY BACKPACK!" We brought David to school, and there were no tears. I was proud of him. We came home and he helped me clean up the kitchen then said, "I need to do my school now," so we painted some pictures, colored, cut some paper up, and then he told me he was tired and wanted to lay down. He slept for 4 hours! He was sick yesterday afternoon/evening, so that didn't really surprise me.

We had a great day. I was much less upset about David being at school than I expected. And I got so much done with only one child at home!! I asked David how school was and he said he wants to go back, which is a great sign!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim,

I can't believe David is in school. It's such a big transition! And it really is so much easier to get stuff done with one child. Samantha just started 4th grade...going to Dover Middle School next year (she'll be 10 Nov. 6th...ugh!). And Megan is in 3rd grade. Time goes by so quick. I love keeping up with you and the boys. I can relate to so much of it so it always makes me laugh. And naturally you're sense of humor and narrating skills are unmatched. When I read your blogs I can actually HEAR your voice in my head. Take care!!!! :)

Sue Mundy (soon to be Sue Cotrupi)

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how grown up our boys are now? I love these pictures! Glad to hear David is adjusting well to school!
Take care,
Kelly