CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Lamp Shade Re-Do

We're slowly but surely making over the guest room to be a room for Katie.  We've decided on paint and fabric, and have painted the walls.  The silver lamps we had in there were too grown up for a little girl.  And I removed one side table to make room for a small bookcase.

I didn't really want to purchase a new lamp, and we have several small lamps that we're not really using.  I may or may not have a thing for lamps. . .

I have had a small white lamp since we bought it for Jack's nursery.  I bought this shade last week when I went Goodwill Hunting.


It was the perfect size, and it was brand new.
And the perfect price, at $3.00.


And this is why it was there.
It was all dented in one spot.
Oh I can so work with that.


First, I measured the height of the shade.


Then the circumference.
Upside down, apparently.


Then I cut my handy drop cloth fabric.
Remember that?
It's the same fabric I used to make my dining room curtains, and to make the boys' monogram pillows at Christmas last year.  I've gotten a lot of mileage out of this drop cloth!
I added two inches to the height and width so I'd have some extra to fold over to finish the edges.


I used hot glue and glued one end to the shade.
I wrapped tightly around the shade and folded the raw edge over to finish it.
I glued that, then had Chris hold the shade so I could pull the fabric taut so it wasn't saggy.
I glued the finished edge over where I started.

To finished the top and bottom, I just folded the fabric over the shade, put a small strip of glue, and pressed.  I quickly worked my way around the top and bottom.  To get it to be finished over the arms of the shade, I notched out the material around the arms.


I love the finished product! 
I plan to make a window seat cover using the same material with navy blue piping.


I think I will do some sort of navy trim around at least the bottom, because when it is turned on you can see the notches for the wire.  I'm thinking maybe thick navy rickrack??

This entire project took me about 15 minutes from start to finish, and cost me $3.00!









No comments: