CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Baby Bums

It should come as no surprise to anyone who knows me that I've spent the better part of the last three and a half years checking out bums. I've read that the average baby goes through 9-11 diapers per day. That means we've changed roughly 11,800 diapers over the course of the lives of our two children. Strangely enough, I don't hate changing diapers. If I had to list my favorite parts of being a mother, certainly wiping butts wouldn't be on the list, but I don't abhor it. I just don't really think about it, it's so routine for me at this point. Since we'll soon be having a third bum to inspect and clean, I've started thinking more about the little booty. (I'm really hoping to have Henry potty trained by the time the new baby's born, so for the sake of argument, let's assume he will be.) Henry and David have always had very sensitive skin. Sensitive skin on the booty leads to numerous diaper rashes. Also, let's face it. Henry has a fat ass. He gets it from his mama. A fat baby ass in plastic diapers all day long leads to more rashes and irritation. Who wants an irritated ass?

I've started doing some research on cloth diapering. I know -- if you know me at all you just snorted whatever you're drinking through your nose. I'm so not a cloth diapering poster child. I really like the benefits the child gets from cloth diapering, but don't really like the added laundry. I'll already be washing laundry for two adults, two toddlers, and a newborn. That's a lot of laundry. I don't need to add crappy diapers to wash as well. Sooooo, I've found a product called the g diaper. No plastic junk like disposable diapers, cloth diaper covers on the outside, and you stuff the diaper cover with a plastic free flushable insert. Yes, flushable. You can also throw it away or garden compost it, if you choose to do so. They're made of a breathable material, thus fewer diaper rashes. The only washing is the cloth diaper cover portion. We're going to try them out. Better for baby, better for the environment. Since when do I care about the environment you ask? Much like changing diapers -- it's not that I don't care. I just don't really think about it much. Hey, we recycle.

www.gdiapers.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those look kind of neat! Much easier then using cloth and much better for a sensitive baby bum!

Kelly