CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Henry!

Yesterday was Henry's third birthday. I know every parent probably says this each year, but how on earth is he already three? When we found out we were going to have Henry, I was shocked. I didn't really grasp that I would have two children, literally, until after he was born. I remember being in the hospital thinking, this child is mine? When Henry was born, just less than 13 months after his older brother, I was so overwhelmed. I didn't know how on earth I would manage to take care of these two boys. My mom stayed with us for a month after he was born. When we brought her to the airport to fly home, I cried all the way back to my house.

Henry was a terrible sleeper when he was a newborn. I was totally unprepared for this, as David had been a fantastic sleeper from the start. Oddly enough it was this, the most difficult thing about having a second child, that was the best for my relationship with Henry. He would eat constantly and would wake in the night until he was 9 months old. NINE MONTHS! He was so cute and chubby, and such a happy baby. I distinctly remember being up feeding him one night and he gave me the most enormous smile. In my sleep deprived stupor, that was all I needed. I recall thinking, this child is MINE. This fabulous, sweet little boy is mine. And he truly is my boy -- we have such a special relationship. He's been my little buddy from the start.

At three years old, Henry is so different from his brothers. He is very sensitive and hates to get in trouble. He is certainly the most mischievous! He is curious about everything. If there is a button to be pushed, a lever to be moved, a handle to be pulled, or a string to untie Henry will find it. He is constantly moving and slows only to explore. He is fearless. Which has resulted in two trips to the emergency room already! (OK, perhaps the only thing he's afraid of is the emergency room!) He loves to tell knock knock jokes and makes his own up. Suffice to say, I don't see a stand up comedy career in his future. He's generous and willing to share with his brothers and friends. He's very empathetic and doesn't like for people to be upset. He is excited about everything -- there is nothing that Henry is afraid to try, to taste, to see, or to do. I so hope that his zest for life and all it has to offer is something that he holds onto as he grows up.

Henry is quite literally the best parts of Chris and me combined. He is so much like his daddy that it's uncanny. He is laid back and very even tempered. He is silly, in a sly way. He is funny and observant. And I would say he gets his love of chatter and his friendliness from me.

This year Henry moved from a crib to a toddler bed and then to the bottom bunk. Quite a progression in a year! He's working on potty training and is almost there. He learned to ride a tricycle, and hasn't stopped since. He learned to make an H, to draw a circle, and learned his full name, his brothers and parents names, and where he lives. He has gotten very independent and wants to do everything himself. His vocabulary exploded this year, and he says some of the funniest things. He's very physical, never one to shy away from wrestling with his brother or climbing on something. Henry became a big brother this year also! He loves baby Jack, and he's very tender and loving (for the most part!) with him.

Henry is very creative and loves to draw, paint, color, play with play doh, and do crafty things. He sings all the time and makes up funny songs. His favorite color is blue. He loves to play outside, especially in the sand box or on the swing set. His favorite things to do are playing trains and cars, watching movies, reading books, and riding his tricycle. He loves to go to the park, for a walk, to the library, or to Target.

Henry, from the start, has loved to eat! He is willing to try anything, which I love. His favorites are by far junk food and anything sweet, but we're working on that! I asked him what his favorite thing to eat is and he said cake. . . He likes to eat yogurt, strawberries, blueberries, grapes, bananas, waffles, donuts, cereal, PB&J, turkey sandwiches, cheese and crackers, peanut butter crackers, fruit snacks, breakfast bars, ANYTHING dipped in ranch dressing (and I do mean anything), chicken nuggets, cheeseburgers, french fries, broccoli, apple slices dipped in peanut butter, corn, rice, cinnamon toast, popcorn, string cheese, hot dogs, pepperoni, pizza, and bread.
I asked Chris what five words he would choose to describe Henry. He said, '"Silly, funny, clumsy, handsome (like the daddy), and happy." I choose curious, friendly, mischievous, sweet, and excited. I can't wait to see what the next year has in store for Henry.


Happy third birthday Henry! We love you!


April 19, 2005


April 2006



April 2007



April 2008

2 comments:

Susan said...

How proud does Henry look in his third birthday picture? He's so handsome. What a sweet boy.

Kelly said...

What a big handsome boy he is!

Oh, and the Thomas cake is so cool!! Love it!